Monday, July 1, 2024

What's on the workbench? Tamiya 1/12 P34 Updates

It has been a year since I last worked on this P34. I decided to stop working on it because I wanted to collect some upgrade kits in an attempt to build an ultimate P34. Items I was after include MFH or Studio27 1/12 P34 detail upgrades, preferably the Studio27 one due to the holed seat and photo-etched parts for the nose section and Japan GP rear wing section, Joe Honda's P34 1976 photo book for references, and materials that help make the build more realistic. After a year-long hunting, I think I'll be able to start the project again.

This is what I have so far, I would not say it is bad (could definitely make a list of the aftermarket parts that I have invested in this one), although some details here and there were obviously made up and not accurate. Here, I meant to say that it was not 100% close to what the actual car was on race day. Because I live in the north Maple Land, my intention is to build Jody's car that he raced in in the 1976 Canadian Grand Prix. This car requires the same rear wing section Tyrrell used on car 3 in the famous Japanese Grand Prix.


So, as time flies, I am really grateful to be able to collect the following items. 


I was able to finally find an MFH Japan GP rear section set earlier this year. Yes, the Studio27 version is still what I wanted, for it is a much more complete upgrade kit that includes a large amount of metal and resin parts. The holed seat, which you can buy a similar one from Shapeways for about 200 green dollars, is also included in Studio27's offer. I really wanted to get that holed seat before until I found out that the seat is almost exclusively for Depailler (I have a Protar/Italeri 179C for him). 


The rain tyre set is also from MFH but was sold through Model Garage Romu. I was also able to get some aluminum hose fittings from RBmotion; the quality is top-notch. 


A reasonable amount of metal parts to recreate the rear section. Very fun to build.


The other book, The History of Tyrrell Racing Organization, kinda talks extensively about P34. It has a whole chapter on the development of the car, which is not surprising for this most unique F1 car ever. This book was published last November and offers tons of information for anyone who is interested in racing. Easy 10/10 ratings.


Joe Honda's photobook was a huge disappointment to me. To be fair, the content is very nice, with extremely high-quality photos and convincing explanations. BUT it misses several rounds...including the 13 round of that year, the Canadian GP! In addition, I was hoping to see more photos about the rear section that was used in the Japan GP, but it seems that there are just not that many photos Joe took. My heart broke...


Not too bad, eh? A lot more details to add!

Here's a photo reference of the car Jody drove at the 1976 Canadian GP (thank god I don't have to use the weird-looking airbox they used in Japan):


Photo Credit: Gladiator Road Racing

No comments:

Post a Comment